Results tagged ‘ Justin Bour ’
Welington Castillo hit his 12th homer and Tyler Colvin hit a triple and drove in a run but it wasn’t enough as Iowa lost to Nashville, 5-3, in 10 innings on Monday night. Alberto Cabrera gave up two runs on five hits and struck out six over six innings. Colvin, DJ LeMahieu, Ryan Flaherty and Scott Moore each had two hits.
Tennessee beat Mississippi 2-1 in 10 innings in the completion of Sunday’s suspended game. Ty Wright had four hits. In the regularly scheduled game, Austin Bibens-Dirkx gave up four runs on six hits over four innings and took the loss, 4-1.
Justin Bour hit his 19th homer and Michael Burgess hit his 12th as Daytona lost 10-5 to Bradenton. Greg Rohan had four hits in his first game with Daytona, and Matt Szczur posted his fourth straight multi-hit game.
Richard Jones had three hits and Matt Loosen threw five scoreless innings but Peoria lost, 5-3, in 10 innings to Fort Wayne. Jones had two RBIs and now has a 13-game hitting streak.
Zeke DeVoss, the Cubs’ third-round pick in June, stole five bases in his first game with Boise in an 8-7 loss to Spokane. The Hawks gave up five runs in the ninth.
Gioskar Amaya and Eduardo Gonzalez each had two hits in Mesa’s 4-3 win over the Dodgers.
– Carrie Muskat
Robert Coello gave up four runs on eight hits and five walks over 5 1/3 innings in Iowa’s 4-1 loss to Las Vegas. Brad Snyder had two hits, including a solo homer, his seventh.
Alberto Cabrera gave up three runs on six hits over seven innings in Tennessee’s 10-5 win over Mississippi. Cabrera now is 6-2 with a 5.36 ERA. Ryan Flaherty extended his hitting streak to nine games with his 11th homer and Jae-Hoon Ha added a solo homer.
Justin Bour had three hits, including his 12th homer, and two RBIs in Daytona’s 9-7 win over St. Lucie. Junior Lake and Jake Optiz also homered. Optiz finished with four RBIs.
Su-Min Jung gave up nine runs on 10 hits over 3 2/3 innings in Peoria’s 10-2 loss to Wisconsin. Greg Rohan and Richard Jones had two hits each.
* Minor League notes: Tyler Colvin went 0-for-4, and was batting .292 since joining the Iowa Cubs. He missed hitting for the cycle on Sunday by a home run, then homered on Monday. “Mechanically, I’m fine,” Colvin told the Des Moines Register. “It’s just about getting my timing back.”
Geovany Soto will join Double-A Tennessee Thursday and Friday. He’s been on the DL since May 11 with a strained left groin. Outfielder James Adduci had a broken bone in his hand surgically repaired and may miss the rest of the season.
– Carrie Muskat
Andrew Cashner and Randy Wells, both on the disabled list, threw two innings each of live batting practice on Monday in Mesa, Ariz., at the team’s extended Spring Training complex. The next step for Wells will be an extended spring game on Thursday in Mesa. Cashner will have another live BP session Thursday.
* Manager Mike Quade says he’ll announce on Wednesday who will be the Cubs starter on Saturday against the Giants. James Russell has filled in and gone 0-4 with a 10.05 ERA in four starts.
* Starlin Castro was in the No. 7 spot in the Cubs’ lineup Tuesday, the lowest he’s been in the order since the season began. He’s battling a 2-for-25 skid in his last six games. He’s hitting .300 overall, but is .137 (7-for-51) in his last 12 games. Castro batted .393 in his first 20 games of the year.
“We’re protecting the kid and trying to help the club and trying to get him out of a bit of a mess,” Quade said. “It seemed appropriate to me. That’s just what we do.”
* Minor League pitcher Kyle Smit was placed on the disabled list because of a strained left shoulder. … Catcher Max Ramirez was claimed on waivers by the Astros.
* Justin Bour has opened some eyes in the Cubs organization. The first baseman was batting .289 with eight homers and 22 RBIs for Class A Daytona.
– Carrie Muskat