Results tagged ‘ Luis Valbuena ’
* Luis Valbuena 2-for-4 with a walk and scored two runs in Lara’s 10-5 win over Margarita in Venezuela. Valbuena, who has been playing second base, was batting .284.
* Darnell McDonald, who recently signed a Minor League contract with the Cubs, is playing for Yaquis de Obregon in Mexico, and was 1-for-4 on Thursday in a 6-3 win over Guasave. In three games, he’s 2-for-10 with one RBI.
Luis Valbuena was 2-for-4 with one RBIs for Lara de Cardenales in Venezuela. Valbuena was batting .270 with two home runs, three doubles and 10 RBIs.
Winter ball statistics:
Junior Lake: .360/.404/.465 in 22 games with three doubles, two home runs, 11 RBIs, six stolen bases.
Arismendy Alcantara: .200/.231/.280 in 17 games with one double, one home run, four RBIs, two stolen bases.
Rubi Silva: .372/.413/.465 in 11 games with four doubles, six RBIs.
Luis Valbuena: .270/.352/.413 in 16 games with three doubles, two home runs, 10 RBIs, one stolen base.
Christian Villanueva: .244/320/.411 in 28 games with six doubles, three home runs, eight RBIs, one stolen base.
Marcos Mateo: 3-0, 1.04 ERA, 15 games, seven saves, 17 1/3 innings.
Marcus Hatley: 1-3, 3.94 ERA, 17 games, six saves, 16 innings.
Hector Rondon: 2-0, 2.38 ERA, 12 games, 11 1/3 innings.
* On Sunday, Luis Valbuena hit a three-run home run in the ninth to secure an 8-3 win for Lara over Magallanes in Venezuela. Valbuena was batting .275, and this was his second home run of the winter league season.
* On Monday, Junior Lake was 2-for-4 with a RBI double in the ninth in Estrellas’ 7-2 loss to Gigantes in the Dominican Republic. Lake was batting .361.
* Rubi Silva was 3-for-4 with a RBI double in the fifth Monday for Leones de Ponce in Puerto Rico. The outfielder, who batted .284 with 30 doubles, nine triples and 15 home runs for Double-A Tennessee last season, was batting .385 this winter.
* Hector Rondon struck out two, walked two and gave up one hit in one scoreless inning in relief for Leones del Caracas in Venezuela. So far, the right-hander has given up four runs on 12 hits over 9 1/3 innings in 10 games.
The Cubs also have reportedly signed outfielder Casper Wells to a Minor League contract, and he was currently playing for Leones. In 19 games, the right-handed hitting Wells was batting .178 with one home run.
* Luis Valbuena drew a walk and scored a run for Lara de Cardenales in Venezuela. He was batting .278 in nine games.
* Right-hander Marcus Hatley had a rough outing for Culiacan. He entered the game in the ninth and walked the first Mexicali batter he faced, then made a throwing error. The next batter smacked a RBI single to tie the game, and one out later, Hatley served up another RBI single. He escaped without further damage but took the loss. It was only the third time in the last 10 games teams have scored on Hatley. The right-hander has a 3.00 ERA in 16 games, giving up five earned runs on 15 hits and six wlaks over 15 innings.
* Luis Valbuena was 1-for-3, hitting his first home run of the offseason, but it wasn’t enough as Lara lost 10-4 to Aragua in Venezuela. Valbuena is batting .303 this offseason, and has played strictly at second base.
* Junior Lake was 1-for-3 with one RBI in Estrellas’ 5-2 loss to Escogido in the Dominican Republic. Lake, who started in center, was batting .344.
* Luis Valbuena went 2-for-3, scored two runs and drove in another in Lara’s 7-2 victory over Zulia in Venezuela. Valbuena, who has only played second base, is now batting .346.
* Junior Lake hit a double and drove in two runs in Estrellas’ 4-2 win over Licey in the Dominican Republic.
* Christian Villanueva had one hit and one RBIs in Obregon’s 10-3 loss to Los Mochis in Mexico.
* Junior Lake had three hits in Licey’s 3-2, 13-inning win over Estrellas in the Dominican Republic. The two teams used 23 pitchers combined.
* Luis Valbuena drove in the go-ahead run with a one-out RBI single in the eighth to lift Lara to a 5-4 victory over Aragua in Venezuelan Winter League play. Valbuena, who has started at second base every game, is batting .304.
* Luis Valbuena went 2-for-5 in Lara’s 9-8 loss to Caracas in Venezuelan winter league play. Valbuena started his fourth straight game at second base.
* Christian Villanueva was 1-for-2 in Obregon’s 4-3, 10-inning loss to Hermosillo in Mexican winter league play. Villanueva is batting .256.
* Daniel Bard continued to struggle in Winter League play. He walked five and gave up three runs on Saturday in his third appearance for Criollos de Caguas in Puerto Rico. The right-hander started the seventh, and walked the first two batters he faced, then threw a wild pitch, then walked another to load the bases. One run scored on a wild pitch, and then another run scored on another wild pitch. Bard walked two more batters before he was lifted.
In three relief appearances in Puerto Rico so far, Bard has given up seven earned runs on nine walks and four wild pitches, has hit three batters, and has yet to give up a hit. He’s retired one of the 13 batters faced over three outings.
* Luis Valbuena made his third straight start at second base on Saturday for Cardenales de Lara in Venezuela, and for the first time, was hitless.
* Junior Lake was 1-for-4, scored a run and stole two bases in Estrellas’ 6-4 loss to Toros in the Dominican Republic.
The Mesa Solar Sox face the Surprise Saguaros on Saturday in the Arizona Fall League championship game. Cubs prospect Dallas Beeler is scheduled to start for Mesa, and Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler and Albert Almora could be in the lineup. The game will be televised on MLB Network, starting at 2 p.m. CT. Bryant leads the AFL with six home runs and a 1.184 OPS.
“Anytime you play baseball, you want to be the last one on the field,” Bryant said. “A lot of us are swinging the bats well and our pitchers are throwing strikes. We’re pretty confident going into Saturday.”
The Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Ill.) reports Ron Coomer is being considered as WGN Radio’s new color man. Coomer played for the Cubs in 2001 and has done TV work for the Twins. Coomer knows Chicago — he’s a graduate of Lockport High School and has a baseball academy in the south suburbs. WGN Radio is looking for someone to partner with play by play man Pat Hughes after Keith Moreland announced he was not coming back for the 2014 season.
Arismendy Alcantara had two hits, including a RBI single in the fifth, in Licey’s 6-2 victory over Oriente in Dominican Winter League play. Junior Lake was 2-for-4 for Oriente.
Luis Valbuena had his second straight two-hit game for Cardenales de Lara in Venezuela, which lost, 13-12, in 13 innings to La Guaira. Valbuena started at second base for the second consecutive game.
Infielder Walter Ibarra, who has been in the Yankees system since 2006, has signed a Minor League contract with the Cubs. Ibarra, 26, reached Triple-A level this season. He posted a .276/.308/.367 line combined at Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He’s primarily played short and second.
The Cubs also have signed outfielder Aaron Cunningham, 27, to a Minor League contract. A sixth-round pick in 2005 by the White Sox, Cunningham has played 222 games over five seasons with the Athletics, Padres and Indians. He spent last season at Triple-A Round Rock, and posted a .247/.337/.401 line in 115 games there with 10 home runs and 50 RBIs.
The Cubs have signed free agent catcher Eli Whiteside, 34, to a Minor League contract, according to MLB.com transactions page. He spent most of last season with the Rangers’ Triple-A team, batting .187 in 67 games. He last appeared in the Majors with the Giants in 2012.
Also, infielder Jeudy Valdez, 24, has reportedly signed a Minor League contract with the Cubs, although he did not receive a Spring Training invite. He posted a .251/.300/.406 slash line in 125 games with San Antonio last season, hitting 10 home runs and driving in 49 runs with 16 steals.
Check out MLB.com’s Corey Brock’s story on Rick Renteria and how he was able to get the Cubs manager’s job wearing sweatpants. It’s on Cubs.com and a great read.
– Carrie Muskat