Results tagged ‘ Marcus Hatley ’
Arodys Vizcaino, Neil Ramirez, Armando Rivero, Alberto Cabrera, Chang-Yong Lim and Marcus Hatley scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday, starting at 11:10 a.m. Arizona time. The Cubs are posting motivational sayings on the daily schedule. Here’s today’s:
“A person really doesn’t become whole until he becomes a part of something bigger than himself.” — Jim Valvano
* Hector Rondon struck out two, walked two and gave up one hit in one scoreless inning in relief for Leones del Caracas in Venezuela. So far, the right-hander has given up four runs on 12 hits over 9 1/3 innings in 10 games.
The Cubs also have reportedly signed outfielder Casper Wells to a Minor League contract, and he was currently playing for Leones. In 19 games, the right-handed hitting Wells was batting .178 with one home run.
* Luis Valbuena drew a walk and scored a run for Lara de Cardenales in Venezuela. He was batting .278 in nine games.
* Right-hander Marcus Hatley had a rough outing for Culiacan. He entered the game in the ninth and walked the first Mexicali batter he faced, then made a throwing error. The next batter smacked a RBI single to tie the game, and one out later, Hatley served up another RBI single. He escaped without further damage but took the loss. It was only the third time in the last 10 games teams have scored on Hatley. The right-hander has a 3.00 ERA in 16 games, giving up five earned runs on 15 hits and six wlaks over 15 innings.
Arizona Fall League
* Jorge Soler hit a go-ahead two-run double in the fifth to help the Mesa Solar Sox beat Salt River 5-4 Monday night in a rain-shortened Arizona Fall League game. Yes, it rains in Arizona. Cubs pitching prospect Matt Loosen picked up the win in relief. On Tuesday, the Solar Sox — or “Soler Sox” — play at Salt River, and that game will be broadcast on MLB Network at 7 p.m. Arizona time.
* Arismendy Alcantara was 2-for-4 with a stolen base in Licey’s 2-1 win over Aguilas in Dominican Winter League play.
* Christian Villanueva was batting .245 in 14 games in the Mexican Winter League with two home runs and three doubles.
* Hector Rondon has not given up a run in five innings over five games in relief in the Venezuelan Winter League, and has walked one and struck out five.
* Marcus Hatley has given up one earned run over 8 2/3 innings in nine games in relief in the Mexican Winter League. Hatley has struck out 14 and walked two.
— Carrie Muskat
Some updates on Cubs prospects currently playing winter ball:
* Arismendy Alcantara was batting .167 in six games with Licey in the Dominican Winter League.
* Christian Villanueva was batting .296 (8-for-27) with two home runs in eight games for Obregon in the Mexican Winter League.
* Marcus Hatley has struck out 10 and walked one over 6 2/3 innings and given up one earned runs in seven relief appearances for the Tomateros in Mexico.
* Hector Rondon has given up two hits in three scoreless innings in three appearances for Leones in Venezuela Winter League play.
* Marcus Hatley picked up his third save on Friday, pitching for the Tomateros in the Mexican Winter League. The right-hander, who pitched for Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa last season, now has a 1.35 ERA in seven games in relief, giving up one earned runs over 6 2/3 innings. He’s got 10 strikeouts.
* Hector Rondon, the Cubs’ Rule 5 pick who compiled a 4.77 ERA in 45 games, has given up one hit while striking out three in two innings of relief for Leones del Caracas in the Venezuelan Winter League.
Junior Lake hit a two-run single but struck out looking to end the game as Mesa lost, 7-6, to Salt River on Friday night in Arizona Fall League play. Lake also stole a base, his 17th, which leads the AFL. Another Cubs prospect, Marcus Hatley, pitched two-thirds of an inning but had to leave the game in the sixth when he appeared to injure his right ankle covering first base. On Saturday, Mesa is back in action against Phoenix.
— Carrie Muskat
Josh Vitters was 2-for-5 with two RBIs in Mesa’s 11-8 loss Wednesday to Phoenix in Arizona Fall League play. Jeff Beliveau, making his first Fall League appearance after pitching for Team USA in the World Cup and Pan Am Games, struck out one in one inning. Marcus Hatley and Chris Carpenter each pitched one inning in relief. Carpenter gave up two runs on three hits and struck out two. On Thursday, Mesa plays host to Phoenix at HoHoKam Park with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 p.m. MT.
DJ LeMahieu had two hits, including a RBI double, and Chris Carpenter pitched two scoreless innings, striking out three, in Mesa’s 10-5 win over Scottsdale in Arizona Fall League play Wednesday. Marcus Hatley, another Cubs prospect, gave up two runs on three hits in 1 1/3 innings of relief for the Solar Sox. On Thursday, Mesa travels to Scottsdale. First pitch is scheduled for 12:35 p.m. MT. Andrew Cashner was slated to pitch in the game in relief.
— Carrie Muskat
Josh Vitters went 4-for-5 and scored two runs and DJ LeMahieu had two hits, including a two-run homer, but it wasn’t enough as Mesa lost 16-8 to Surprise in Arizona Fall League play Friday. Vitters is batting .405 in the AFL. Junior Lake, another Cubs prospect, hit a solo homer for Mesa. Marcus Hatley took the loss, giving up four runs on five hits over 1 2/3 innings. Andrew Cashner made his third AFL appearance, giving up two runs on two hits in one inning. He walked one and struck out one. Mesa travels to Surprise Saturday to face the Saguaros.
In the Dominican Republic, John Gaub gave up two runs on one hit and one walk in relief but Escogido held on for a 4-3 win over Licey. Catcher Steve Clevenger is also playing for the Leones and was 1-for-4 with a double in the season opener in the Dominican Winter Leagues.
In the Mexican Winter League play, Blake Parker struck out one in one-third of an inning in Hermosillo’s 15-9 win over Los Mochis. In two games, Parker has three strikeouts over 1 1/3 innings and has not given up a hit or run.
— Carrie Muskat