Results tagged ‘ Miguel Socolovich ’
* With right-handed pitchers Jaye Chapman and Miguel Socolovich and catcher Anthony Recker making their Cubs debuts on Tuesday, the team has used a single-season record 52 different players. The old mark was 51 set in 2000.
* The Cubs have used 20 rookies, the most since they played 20 rookies in 1974. Eleven of the 20 are pitchers. On Tuesday, the Cubs used seven rookie pitchers in a single game for the first time in franchise history. They had used six in one game five times.
* The Cubs have had 11 players make their big league debut this season, their most since 11 did so in 2010.
* With Chapman and Socolovich making their appearances, the Cubs have used 29 pitchers. That surpasses the previous franchise single-season high of 25 used in 1999.
* The Cubs have lost 18 of their last 21 games on the road since the All-Star Break, including 14 of their last 15 road contests since the beginning of August.
— Carrie Muskat
The Cubs recalled right-handed reliever Miguel Socolovich, who was claimed off waivers from the Orioles on Aug. 23. Socolovich, 24, was 4-0 with two saves and a 2.11 ERA in 31 relief appearances between Triple-A Norfolk and Triple-A Iowa. He struck out 57 hitters over 55 1/3 innings and walked 14. He was a non-roster invitee to the Orioles’ Spring Training camp, and had three stints with the big league team, appearing in six games. He was designated for assignment Aug. 14. The Cubs already have used a franchise high 27 pitchers this season. It’s the most since 25 hurlers were used in 1999. Socolovich will be No. 28 when he gets in a game. The 27 pitchers used ranks third-most in the Major Leagues this year behind the Blue Jays (32 pitchers) and Padres (30).
— Carrie Muskat