Results tagged ‘ Padres ’
The Cubs averaged 10,892 fans in 14 games at HoHoKam Park this spring, drawing a total 152,493. That’s the top average home attendance in the Major Leagues this spring. This is the seventh straight year the Cubs have led the Cactus League in per game attendance.
The Cubs’ home attendance is listed as 164,046 in official MLB stats because that includes the March 13 game in Las Vegas. The Cubs were the home team that day.
They also were part of the Cactus League single-game record of 13,629, set March 28 in Peoria against the Seattle Mariners.
* The average attendance for a Cactus League game this spring was approximately 6,800 per game. The Cubs are a little more than 4,000 fans ahead of the Cactus League per game average.
* The Cubs helped establish since-surpassed single-game marks on consecutive days in Glendale — 13,391 on March 18 vs. the Dodgers; 13,413 on March 19 vs. the White Sox.
* The Cubs set an all-time HoHoKam Park attendance record on March 27 when they drew 13,462 fans for a game against the Padres.
* Last year, the Cubs set an all-time Cactus League record with 203,105 fans in 19 games at HoHoKam Park, an average of 10,690 per game.
* The Cubs have played in 15 of the top 20 top drawing Spring Training games of all time.
– Carrie Muskat
Ted Lilly was activated from the disabled list Monday and will start the series opener vs. the Padres. Rookie Justin Berg optioned to Triple-A Iowa to make room on the roster. Berg was recalled last Thursday and made his ML debut that day, throwing two shutout innings of relief.
– Carrie Muskat