Results tagged ‘ Shawon Dunston Jr. ’
Chris Rusin gave up six runs over 6 1/3 innings in Iowa’s 7-5 loss to Salt Lake. Logan Watkins had two hits, both doubles, and Ryan Kalish had three hits.
Corey Black gave up one run over five innings in Tennessee’s 7-1 win over Montgomery. Addison Russell hit his ninth home run, driving in two runs. Albert Almora had two hits, including a double.
Daytona’s game against Clearwater was postponed because of rain. The two teams were to play a doubleheader on Tuesday.
Shawon Dunston Jr. hit a walk off single in the 10th to lift Kane County to a 2-1 win over Burlington. Dunston finished with two outs. Jen-Ho Tseng started, and gave up one run over six innings, striking out five. He’s 6-1 with a 2.45 ERA.
Kevin Brown hit a two-run homer in Boise’s 7-3 loss to Salem-Keizer. Charcer Burks had three hits and one RBI.
Mesa totaled four hits in a 4-1 loss to the White Sox. Adonis Paula had two hits, and drove in the only run.
Iowa had Wednesday off, and resumes action Thursday at Colorado Springs. Tsuyoshi Wada takes the mound.
Corey Black threw six shutout and hitless innings to lead Tennessee to a 9-1 win over Birmingham. Black struck out eight and walked three. Rubi Silva hit his second home run.
Daytona lost to Clearwater, 6-3. Gioskar Amaya had three hits, including a double, and one RBI.
Shawon Dunston Jr. hit his first home run, a three-run shot in the seventh, to lead Kane County to a 10-4 win over Beloit. Dunston finished with two hits. Will Remillard was 4-for-4 with three RBIs.
Class A Kane County announced it’s preliminary Opening Day roster. The 26 players will be reduced to a Midwest League-mandated squad of 25 before Thursday’s season opener against Quad Cities. The Cougars’ roster includes pitchers Paul Blackburn, Tyler Skulina, Nathan Dorris, and 19-year-old Jen-Ho Tseng, who will make his U.S. professional debut this year. Outfielder Shawon Dunston, Jr, son of the former Cub shortstop, also will be on the roster along with Jake Hannemann and Trey Martin.
* Among the 26 players heading to Kane County, eight spent all or a portion of the 2013 season with the Cougars. … Two of the 13 pitchers listed are left-handers (Dorris, Gerardo Conception). … Six players were part of the Cubs’ 2013 draft class.
Some former Cubs in the news:
* The Indians have signed Bryan LaHair to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Spring Training. LaHair, 31, will compete for at-bats as a DH and possible role player off the bench. He has hit .289 against right-handed pitching. LaHair spent last season in Japan.
* Carlos Zambrano gave up three runs on two hits over 5 1/3 innings in Venezuela’s 6-3 win Monday over Mexico in the Caribbean Series. Zambrano, 32, was 1-2 with a 4.93 ERA in 42 innings for Navigantes this winter.
* Catcher Koyie Hill has signed a Minor League contract with the Nationals that includes a Spring Training invite.
As for up and coming Cubs, today, Feb. 5, is Shawon Dunston Jr.’s 21st birthday. The outfielder is one of the Cubs’ top prospects. How time flies.
– Carrie Muskat
* Chris Rusin gave up six runs over six innings in Iowa’s 6-2 loss to Memphis. Brian Bogusevic had two hits and stole a base. Brad Nelson also had two hits, including a double.
* Matt Szczur went 4-for-5 with three RBIs in Tennessee’s 11-8 loss to Chattanooga. Ty Wright was 2-for-3 and Jonathan Mota went 2-for-5.
* Javier Baez hit his 16th home run, a solo shot in the first, and Zach Cates gave up one run over 6 2/3 innings in Daytona’s 2-1 win over Dunedin. Baez had two hits, and two RBIs. His 52 RBIs are tied for fifth in the Florida State League. Dustin Geiger had two hits and a stole a base.
Baez connected off Kyle Drabek, who was making his first start since elbow surgery. Baez also hit a RBI single in the third.
“It doesn’t matter who is on the mound — he has to throw strikes,” Baez told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
Baez now is tied for first in the Florida State League with 16 home runs. He’s the active leader, as the other two players were promoted to Double-A.
Jorge Soler still sidelined with a sore left shin.
* Albert Almora and Rock Shoulders both homered in Kane County’s 6-5, 11-inning loss to Quad Cities. Shoulders had two hits and scored two runs.
* Justin Marra hit his first home run in Boise’s 3-2 loss to Spokane in the first game of a doubleheader. In the second game, Shawon Dunston Jr. hit his first home run in a 4-3 loss.
* Alexander Santana gave up three runs over 4 2/3 innings in Mesa’s 7-5, 10-inning loss to the Diamondbacks. The Rookie League team committed three errors.
Nick Struck threw 6 2/3 scoreless innings as Iowa blanked Nashville, 7-0. Struck fanned three and scattered three hits. Dave Sappelt had three hits and three RBIs, and Logan Watkins and Brian Bogusevic each had two hits. Steve Clevenger added another hit and RBI, and was batting .364.
Tennessee had the day off and will return to action Wednesday at Chattanooga to begin the second half of the season.
Javier Baez and Tim Saunders each hit grand slams to lead Daytona to a 14-8 victory over Clearwater. For Baez, it was his 14th homer of the season. Kyler Burke started, and did not get a decision. He gave up four runs over four innings. Saunders finished with three hits.
Kane County had the day off for the Midwest League All-Star game, which the East win, 6-5. Dan Vogelbach was 2-for-2 with a double and an RBI in the game for the West, and Tayler Scott struck out a batter in two-thirds of an inning.
Shawon Dunston had two hits and scored a run in Boise’s 9-2 loss to Salem-Keizer. Trey Lang started and gave up four earned runs over four innings.
Iowa’s game vs. Omaha was suspended because of rain. The teams will resume action Saturday, tied at 5-5 in the bottom of the sixth. Steve Clevenger was 3-for-3 with a home run and two RBIs before the rain.
Jonathan Mota had three hits and one RBIs in Tennessee’s 4-3 loss to Mississippi. Austin Kirk gave up three runs over five innings. Ronald Torreyes had three hits, including a double, and one RBIs and a stolen base.
Daytona is off this weekend for the All-Star break, and will return to action Monday at Clearwater.
Albert Almora extended his hitting streak to 12 games but it wasn’t enough as Kane County lost, 5-1, to Wisconsin. Wilson Contreras had two hits. Shawn Camp threw two scoreless innings in his second rehab outing, striking out three of the eight batters he faced.
James Pugliese threw five shutout innings as Boise opened the season with a 7-0 victory over Eugene. Shawon Dunston Jr. went 4-for-6 with a double, Jacob Rogers hit his first home run and Daniel Lockhart had two hits and one RBIs.
The Cubs’ instructional league begins on Monday, and it’s another chance for some of the team’s top prospects to fine tune their skills. Games begin on Sept. 21. Here’s a list of players who will participate at the Cubs’ facility in Mesa, Ariz.:
Jose Arias, Dallas Beeler, Paul Blackburn, Gerardo Concepcion, Nathan Dorris, Corbin Hoffner, Pierce Johnson, Trey Lang, Dillon Maples, Chad Martin, Carlos Martinez, Ryan McNeil, Juan Paniagua, Stephen Perakslis, Starling Peralta, Anthony Prieto, Austin Reed, Duane Underwood, Ben Wells.
Wilson Contreras, Chadd Krist, Rafael Lopez, Justin Marra, Lance Rymel.
Arismendy Alcantara, Gioskar Amaya, David Bote, Stephen Bruno, Jeimer Candelario, Ben Carhart, Marco Hernandez, Jesse Hodges, Carlos Penalver, Jacob Rogers, Tim Saunders, Dan Vogelbach.
Albert Almora, Yasiel Balaguert, Shawon Dunston Jr., Trevor Gretzky, Trey Martin, Bijan Rademacher, Jorge Soler.
– Carrie Muskat
Diory Hernandez hit his second home run and drove in three runs in Iowa’s 4-1 win over Oklahoma City on Saturday. Ty’Relle Harris picked up the win, giving up one run and striking out six over six innings. Hernandez hit a two-run homer in the eighth and a sacrifice fly. Dave Sappelt, Greg Rohan and Jeff Frazier each had two hits. Jairo Asencio picked up the save.
Logan Watkins hit his sixth home run in Tennessee’s 4-3, 10-inning loss to Mobile. Jae-Hoon Ha had three hits and Rubi Silva drove in two runs.
Daytona lost the first game of a doubleheader to Tampa, 3-2, but won the nightcap, 4-1. Ryan Searle picked up the win in the second game, giving up one run on three hits over five innings. John Andreoli, Roni Torreyes, Rebel Ridling each had two hits.
Chadd Krist and Tim Saunders each homered to back Joseph Zeller and lead Peoria to a 3-2 win over Wisconsin. Zeller gave up one run on seven hits over six innings.
Boise reached the playoffs for the second straight season with an 8-6 win over Vancouver, clinching the second half title in the Northwest League’s East Division. Boise will face Yakima, the division’s first half winner, in the first game of the playoffs on Sept. 3. Jeimer Candelario had three hits and three RBIs in Saturday’s win and Wilson Contreras drove in two runs.
Shawon Dunston Jr. had three RBIs in Mesa’s 8-7 win over the Giants. Carlos Penalver had two hits and two RBIs and Yasiel Belaguert had two hits and two RBIs.
– Carrie Muskat