Results tagged ‘ Tennessee ’
* C.J. Edwards and Ryan Searle combined on a one-hitter to help Daytona beat Charlotte, 4-0, and win the Florida State League championship Monday night. Edwards, acquired from the Rangers in the Mat Garza deal, threw five one-hit innings and Searle threw four innings in relief to give Daytona its sixth FSL title and second in the last three years.
Dan Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Daytona added two more in the second, taking advantage of two errors. Elliot Soto added a RBI single in the ninth.
Daytona now has won the FSL championship in 1995, 2000, ’04, ’08, ’11 and this year.
* Tennessee was unable to overcome a four-run fourth inning and fell to Birmingham, 7-4, Monday in the North Division Champinship Series. The Smokies were ousted in the best of five series, 3-2. Tennessee ended 2013 with a 76-62 regular season record.
Christian Villanueva hit a RBI single in the first to give Tennessee a lead but Birmingham scored twice in the second off Neil Ramirez to go ahead, 2-1. Arismendy Alcantara hit a RBI single in the Smokies’ second to tie the game. In the fourth, the Barons took advantage of errors to take a 6-2 lead. Birmingham loaded the bases and Micah Johnson hit a groundball to Alcantara, who misplayed it for an error, allowing two runs to score. On the same play, a throwing error by catcher Taylor Davis allowed another run to score. Two batters later, an error by Javier Baez allowed the fourth run to score. Baez did hit a two-run homer in the fifth to close to 6-4.
* Boise was held to four hits in a 5-0 loss to Vancouver, which won the Northwest League Championship game. The Hawks best scoring chance came in the seventh when Rony Rodriguez doubled to lead off, and advanced on a ground out. But Alonzo Gonzalez replaced starter Tom Robson, and struck out Justin Marra and David Bote. Robson gave up three hits over 6 1/3 innings, striking out two.
* Tennessee beat Birmingham, 10-7, in a slugfest on Sunday to even the best-of-five Southern League North Division Championship Series at two wins apiece. The deciding Game 5 will be Monday. Neil Ramirez is scheduled to start for the Smokies.
The Smokies totaled 11 hits. Matt Szczur and Jonathan Mota each had three RBIs and Arismendy Alcantara hit a two-run single in the third and Taylor Davis hit a two-run double in the sixth. Szczur hit a two-run double with two outs in the fourth and added a sacrifice fly in the eighth. Mota hit a RBI single in the fourth and a two-run triple in the eighth.
* Jonathan Quinonez delivered a pinch-hit solo home run in the eighth and a walkoff RBI single in the ninth to lead Charlotte over Daytona and post a 3-2 victory in the Florida State League Championship. The two teams will meet on Monday in Game 4 in the best-of-five series.
Corey Black gave up one hit over six scoreless innings, and Dan Vogelbach and Chadd Krist each drove in a run. Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Krist hit a RBI double in the seventh. Pin-Chieh Chen also had three hits. Charlotte then scored in the eighth on Quinonez’s solo home run, and rain stopped play for 1 hour 33 minutes.
When play resumed, Charlotte had Ryan McChesney at second with one out in the eighth, and McChesney tried to score on Jake Hager’s single. But center fielder Zeke DeVoss threw McChesney out at home. Charlotte manager Brady Williams argued the call, and was ejected. Willie Argo then grounded out to end the inning.
Jeff Malm hit a game-tying RBI single with one out in the Charlotte ninth off Zach Cates, and Quinonez, who stayed in the game in left, delivered the game-winning RBI single.
* Vancouver beat Boise, 4-2, on Sunday to force a third and decisive game Monday to decide the Northwest League champion in the best of three series. Corbin Hoffner took the loss, giving up three runs on five hits over 1 2/3 innings in front of 4,655. Boise starter Paul Blackburn struck out nine over five innings, and gave up one run on three hits. Jordan Hankins hit a RBI double in the second for Boise to tie the game at 1. The Hawks didn’t score again until the eighth when pinch-hitter Jesse Hodges doubled and eventually scored on Danny Lockhart’s single.
Tennessee scored six runs in the eighth to beat Birmingham 9-2 and avoid elimination in Game 3 of the best of five Southern League North Division playoffs. Javier Baez hit a two-run homer in the first to back Eric Jokisch, who gave up two runs over 7 2/3 innings. John Andreoli had two doubles and two RBIs, and Matt Szczur had one RBIs. The two teams meet in Game 4 today.
Daytona needs one more win to claim the Florida State League Championship after beating Charlotte, 2-0, in Game 2. Ivan Pineyro threw seven shutout innings, giving up three hits and striking out seven. Pineyro struck out the first five batters he faced. Kris Bryant hit a double, Dan Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Chadd Krist had one RBIs. The two teams meet tonight for Game 3.
Boise will try to win its first Northwest League title since 2004 today in the Northwest League Championship Series. Jose Rosario was scheduled to start against Vancouver. The Hawks lead the best of three series, 2-0.
Tennessee was unable to overcome an early deficit and lost, 7-1, to Birmingham in Game Two of the North Division Championship Series. The loss gave the Barons a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series.
Birmingham scored four runs in the second inning against Tennessee starter Dae-Eun Rhee. Dan Black led off with a home run, and a run scored on an error by Javier Baez. Trayce Thompson hit a two-run double as well. Rhee gave up one more run in the fifth, and was lifted after 4 1/3 innings. He struck out two and walked four.
John Andreoli hit a RBI double in the ninth for Tennessee’s only run.
Tennessee will try to keep the series alive Saturday when it shifts to Smokies Park. Lefty Eric Jokisch (11-13, 3.42) will face another lefty, Spencer Arroyo (9-7, 3.42).
* Daytona beat Charlotte, 5-0, on Thursday in the first game of the Florida State League Championship. Pierce Johnson struck out six over five scoreless innings for the win. The Cubs tallied in the first on Dustin Geiger’s run-scoring groundout. Daytona scored three runs in the second on Pin-Chieh Chen’s three-run double. Geiger added a RBI double in the fourth. Game 2 will be played Friday in Daytona.
* Tennessee lost 3-1 on Thursday to Birmingham in the first game of the Southern League North Division Championship Series in front of 4,862 at Regions Field. Trayce Thompson hit a leadoff home run in the fourth off Smokies starter Nick Struck (0-1). Tennessee answered in the fifth when Rubi Silva connected on a homer off Barons starter Chris Bassitt to tie the game at 1. Thompson and Dan Black each hit RBI singles in the Barons’ fifth. Bassitt picked up the win, giving up one run on three hits. Game Two of the best-of-five series is Friday at Regions Field in Birmingham, Ala., and Dae-Eun Rhee (5-1, 3.34) will start for Tennessee.
* C.J. Edwards and Ryan Searle combined on a two-hitter and Kris Bryant drove in two runs to lead Class A Daytona to 4-0 win over Dunedin Wednesday and clinch the Florida State League best-of-three North Championship Series, two games to none. Daytona now faces Charlotte in the best of five FSL Championship Series, starting Thursday.
Edwards, acquired in July from the Rangers in the Matt Garza trade, struck out eight and walked one over five innings, while Searle struck out five over four innings in relief in the game, which was interrupted by rain. Bryant was 3-for-3, hitting a two-run double in the third. Wes Darvill hit a RBI double in the second, and Elliot Soto added another RBI double in the fourth.
* Class A Boise also reached the Northwest League Championship with a win Wednesday. Justin Marra hit a pair of two-run doubles to help Boise beat Salem-Keizer, 11-7, and clinch the South Division Series, two games to none. Boise will now play Vancouver. Marra hit his first double in the first inning, and put Boise ahead for good with another in the third. Kevin Encarnacion and Danny Lockhart each had three hits. Loiger Padron picked up the win in relief, giving up three hits over 2 2/3 innings. This is the 13th trip in franchise history to the championship series for the Hawks, and they are vying for their seventh title.
* On Thursday, the Cubs’ Double-A affiliate, Tennessee, begins Southern League North Division series play against Birmingham in a best of five series at Regions Field. Games 3-5 will be played at Smokies Park.
Tim Torres hit a solo home run but it wasn’t enough as Iowa lost 2-1 in the season finale to Nashville. Iowa finished at 66-78 and in third place in the PCL North Division. Kyle Hendricks gave up two runs over six innings. Dave Sappelt and Edwin Maysonet each had two hits.
Tennessee finished the regular season with a 4-3 loss to Chattanooga, but opens the playoffs on Thursday against Birmingham. It’ll be a best of five North Division Championship Series. On Monday, Christian Villanueva hit his 19th home run, a solo shot, and Tayler Davis had two hits, including a double. Eric Jokisch started and gave up three earned runs over 5 2/3 innings, striking out seven.
Daytona had Monday off and returns to action Tuesday in Game 1 of the FSL best of three Championship series against Dunedin. Corey Black is scheduled to start.
Scott Baker gave up two runs over 5 2/3 innings in a rehab start for Kane County, which won 5-4 over Peoria in the season finale. The Cougars finished 55-80 under manager Mark Johnson. Oliver Zapata hit a home run and Jeimer Candelario and Giuseppe Papaccio each had three hits.
Boise lost its season finale, 10-6, to Hillsboro. The Hawks open the Northwest League South Division playoff best of three series Tuesday against Salem-Keizer. Paul Blackburn is slated to start. On Monday, Rony Rodriguez had two hits and three RBIs and Shawon Dunston and David Bote each had multiple hits.
Tennessee lost it’s regular season finale to Chattanooga to finish 76-62 for the season. However, the Smokies are headed to the playoffs.
The Smokies scored in the third when John Andreoli and Taylor Davis each singled, and with one out, Matt Szczur lined out to center, allowing Andreoli to score. With two outs in the top of the fourth inning, Christian Villanueva hit his 19th home run of the season over the fence in right field to pull the Smokies within two runs at 4-2.
The Smokies drew within a run in the top of the fifth inning. Taylor Davis doubled with one out and advanced to third on a groundout. An infield single by Szczur allowed the Smokies catcher to score and make it a 4-3 game.
Eric Jokisch (11-13, 3.42) took the loss after giving up four runs (three earned) on eight hits with seven strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings pitched.
Tennessee will open its best of five game series Thursday night in Birmingham in the North Division Championship Series.
Double-A Tennessee is headed to the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five years. The Smokies, who won the North Division in the second half, will start postseason play on Sept. 5. The best-of-five North Division Championship Series will see the Smokies face the Birmingham Barons, who won the division in the first half. The first two games of the NDCS will be held in Regions Field in Birmingham, Ala., with the final three being held at Smokies Park.
Here’s the schedule:
Game 1: Thursday, Sept. 5 at Regions Field, 8:05 p.m. ET
Game 2: Friday, Sept. 6 at Regions Field, 8:05 p.m. ET
Game 3: Saturday, Sept. 7 at Smokies Park, 6:15 p.m. ET
Game 4: (if necessary) Sunday, Sept. 8 at Smokies Park, 3:00 p.m. ET
Game 5: (if necessary) Monday, Sept. 9 at Smokies Park, 7:15 p.m. ET
Outfielder Ty Wright was promoted from Double-A Tennessee to Triple-A Iowa. Wright was batting .253 in 53 games after being placed on Tennessee’s roster on April 22. The right-handed outfielder collected 40 hits, eight doubles, three home runs and 19 RBIs. Wright started the 2013 season with the I-Cubs, where he hit .190 (8-for-42) with a pair of doubles and three RBIs. The Tyler, Texas native was selected by the Cubs in the seventh round of the 2007 draft.