Results tagged ‘ Tony Dungy ’
Carlos Marmol has said no to the World Baseball Classic. Marmol says he couldn’t sleep Sunday night, trying to make a decision about whether to pitch or not for the Dominican Republic. Cubs manager Lou Piniella and Marmol talked for awhile in the outfield on Monday at Fitch Park. Piniella said: “I told him it was his decision and we would support him either way.”
In other camp news:
- Ryan Dempster is slowed by a stiff neck, and has not been throwing to hitters.
- Carlos Zambrano and Ted Lilly tuned up with good sessions vs. hitters on Monday.
- The Cubs sold 2.68 million tickets over the weekend for the 2009 regular season. The forecast for Day 1 on Friday had been 450,000, but they topped that and sold 509,000. There are still tickets available at Wrigley Field.
- Monday was the last day at Fitch Park. They will practice on Tuesday at HoHoKam Stadium, just down Center Street. There will be no intrasquad game prior to the start of Cactus League play Wednesday.
- The Cubs will be taking four to five regulars on the two-game trip to Las Vegas, March 4-5. The games are being televised on WGN TV.
- Piniella has finished one of Tony Dungy’s books and is working on a second one. He’s got plenty of time to read this spring.
– Carrie Muskat